Skip to main content

BEGINNERS GUIDE TO CAKE BAKING. Essential Ingredients needed

 

     As a beginner, here are some basic ingredients you will need to waltz your way through the process of cake baking.  

 ESSENTIAL INGREDIENTS FOR BAKING, includes and is not limited to

  • All-purpose Flour/ Self Raising Flour - APF can be used for a wide range of cake recipes and SRF for recipes that specifically require it. Choosing a good brand and sticking to it will help you achieve great result for your cakes. I personally love to use one of the best Nigerian brands (Golden Penny brand) and sometimes I go for an international brand (Mc Dougalls). 
  • Granulated sugar/Brown sugar : For my granulated sugar I stick to my Nigerian brand (Golden penny) its well refined and gives me the result I want. You can choose whatever brand works for you. Brown sugar is found in many recipes for fudge cakes or chocolate cakes and choosing a good brands is a huge factor.
  • Confectioner's sugar/Icing Sugar. This is one of the most important ingredients used when decorating your cake and making sure a good brand is used is essential. I personally love using a Nigerian brand called Bakers Choice its got a very smooth texture and doesn't clump together easily (you almost don't need to sieve it).
  • Baking Powder-  Choose a good brand that is reckoned with amongst cake bakers and stick to it. I personally like to use the double-acting baking powder.
  • Cocoa Powder/Chocolate -  Investing in a good brand can make a huge difference in the texture of the cake and taste. I like to use the Cadbury brand because of it richness.
  • Milk - When using milk in my recipe I like to use a Nigerian brand called PEAK milk, it is well known for its richness and quality taste. You can choose your own option that works best for you.
  • Butter/Margarine: this is readily available at many local store or cake store. I prefer to use brands that are sweet smelling and a nice texture feel in the mouth. So before I go for a brand of butter to use for my recipe I take a quick taste just to make sure its what I want. And so I stick with the ones measured and weighed in grams on a food scale. 
  • Oil- This depends on the recipe for the cake. Sunflower, Olive oil or vegetable oil is mostly used in recipes
  • Mixing colors: These are very essential as they come in handy in making fun color frosting on cake. I like to use gel food colors when icing  and use liquid when marbleizing a cake or making my favorite red velvet cake. You can also mix different primary colors to give you a different color. e.g Grey (Black + White), Navy blue (Royal blue + Pink). etc. 
  • Vanilla essence- Liquid vanilla essence is mostly used but some recipes require the extract which is gotten from soaking the pods.
  • Nuts: Recipes that are nut-based can contain walnuts, pistachios, peanuts, pecans or any other type depending on the recipe.
   Cake baking ingredients is not limited to all of these ingredients listed as there are other ingredients required in cake recipes.
Most recipes contain most of these ingredients as some recipes can have other ingredients that are also quite affordable. This list above is the main ingredients needed to make your first cake depending on the recipe you want to try out.
My recipe page is coming up very soon and you can check out simple easy-to-do recipes there.

* Disclaimer notice : The products brand mentioned above are not meant for advertisement. This is not in any kind a paid promotion for any product or shop. This is a list of products I use as per my preference which I have shared here to help others familiarize with the items. Baking ingredients are not limited to this list as some recipes call for other ingredients not listed here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOW TO BAKE A CAKE WITHOUT AN OVEN

For people like me who happen to live in a country where power supply is epileptic, one has not to solely rely on electricity for one's daily activities.   This is especially essential for cake makers like me. So in a case where there is no electricity and one cannot afford to use a gas oven, we are made to find a way out - IMPROVISATION.  This baking without an oven technique came in handy many times as a cake maker while studying in the University and still does when I want to be very economical. You can still try it out if you have a cooker that has a non-functional oven or if you find yourself in a situation where  an oven is not readily available Here is how to bake a cake without an oven.  Things you'll need; 1. A kerosene stove or cooker 2. Aluminum Pot - it can vary in size depending on the size of cake. Cupcakes don't require large pots but larger cakes do. 3. Baking Pans ( Aluminum foil pans or cupcake tins or aluminu...

Nigerian Traditional Wedding Cakes

Image source: Nairaland.com I love my country Nigeria mostly because it is a country blessed with rich cultures and diverse ethnic groups with wonderful cuisines.  In the average Nigerian culture, When a man and woman are going to be joined together, one of the most important ceremonies, is the traditional wedding. This is very key as it is a symbol of the couple's parent being in total support of the union. There must be a traditional wedding before the church or court wedding, whichever way the couple chooses to be joined.  A typical traditional wedding tells guest, friends and everyone that needs to know, where the couple is from. In most traditional marriages, in the order of events, the bride's ethnicity is first represented with the bride dressed and dolled up in almost everything that represents where she is from and then after all the pomp and pageantry of the acceptance of the bride price, the bride then changes her attire into the grooms ethnic group i,e i...

3 Healthy Cakes to Eat During Pregnancy

Photo Credit: Amiraafrica Pregnancy is a very crucial but rewarding phase in a woman's life. When pregnant, you have a lot of sweet cravings and if you indulge in unhealthy cravings, gaining excess weight is inevitable. Not to worry there are ways to get around this. First, it is normal to gain a few pounds when pregnant but appropriate nutrition also matters, as what you eat can also contribute to your weight gain. Let's see how to manage those sweet tooth cravings without gaining the extra weight.  One of the most guilty offenders for pregnant women's sweet tooth cravings are CAKES. Here are 3 healthy cakes to eat without the extra weight during pregnancy. You sure would thank me for this post!' Warning!!! Eat these desserts in Moderation. Also when making these cakes ensure to skip using alcohol in them especially the recipes that contains the use of alcohol.