Skip to main content

How to make Homemade Fondant


 Using fondant for the covering of your cake gives it a smooth and glossy finish. This is why it is the most used type of icing for wedding cakes. Fondant is especially used because of the way it is workable and can make great shapes and objects that looks more like the real thing. I personally love using fondant and love to make mine myself as opposed to buying from the stores. This is not the only reason, I am a "I CAN-DO IT MYSELF" kind of person and I tell myself that there is really no big deal to it. But I must confess, It has been really challenging as the journey to finding a good recipe has  proved abortive. I have watched a lot of Youtube videos, tried a lot of recipes and have met failure many times. Its either it dries out too quickly or breaks out, at other times I have been lucky. But yesterday as I basked in the euphoria of welcoming my new niece who's christening is coming up soon, I decided I will make a cake to celebrate and I must use Fondant because I intend making baby shoes and a Perambulator. I started to surf the net for other recipes I haven't tried and couldn't find any(LOL). Then it struck me, why not try to make your own recipe! I started to brain-storm. I thought of the main ingredients in fondant and their functions and Eureka! At last I made my very own fondant recipe. Its very simple to make you wouldn't believe it. It was very pliable and it worked along with me as if I were its only hope. LOL
Here is the recipe. Hope you try it out. Its very easy. 


Homemade Fondant Recipe

Ingredients

    • 6 cups Confectioner's Sugar/Icing Sugar
    • 2 tablespoons Glucose
    • 1 teaspoon Glycerine
    • 1 satchet Gelatin
    • 3 tablespoons warm Water

    Things you'll need
    • Double boiler (I used water in a saucepan over a deep pot of boiling water if you don't have one)
    • Spatula 
    • Big Plastic bowl
    • Small Plastic bowl
  •  Procedure: Sift 4 cups of icing sugar in the big plastic bowl, make a well and set aside. In the small plastic bowl, pour the water and sprinkle the gelatin over it. Leave for some time until it dissolves and looks like a paste.
  •  Place it in the double boiler and stir until the gelatin totally dissolves. Do not let it boil. Just enough to melt the gelatin. Bring the bowl out of the double boiler and add the glucose and glycerin. Put back into the double boiler until all the glucose is dissolved. Do not let it boil. Just enough to make the mixture liquid. Remove from heat and allow to cool to lukewarm temperature. This will take about 5mins. 

     Pour the cooled mixture into the well made in the bowl of  sifted icing sugar.

    Mix with a spatula until well mixed. Sprinkle some of the left over icing sugar onto a flat work surface
    Pour the mixture onto the surface and knead with your hands until it comes together and doesn't stick to your fingers.


     Continue kneading until when smooth and stretchy.
    And Voila! There you have it! My very own easy to make fondant recipe. Its very workable and doesn't hurt your shoulders. LOL. Put it in a double wrap and in an airtight container.


    Here is a  picture of what I did with mine. I just added a tablespoon of tylose powder/C.M.C powder to make this beautiful baby shoes I will be using for my niece's baby christening cake.




    I hope you found this post helpful. Share your comments and questions below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nigerian Traditional Wedding Cakes

Image source: Nairaland.com I love my country Nigeria mostly because it is a country blessed with rich cultures and diverse ethnic groups with wonderful cuisines.  In the average Nigerian culture, When a man and woman are going to be joined together, one of the most important ceremonies, is the traditional wedding. This is very key as it is a symbol of the couple's parent being in total support of the union. There must be a traditional wedding before the church or court wedding, whichever way the couple chooses to be joined.  A typical traditional wedding tells guest, friends and everyone that needs to know, where the couple is from. In most traditional marriages, in the order of events, the bride's ethnicity is first represented with the bride dressed and dolled up in almost everything that represents where she is from and then after all the pomp and pageantry of the acceptance of the bride price, the bride then changes her attire into the grooms ethnic group i,e if

5 Ways to Salvage your Ruined Cake

Cake mishaps are inevitable sometimes. And when this happens, usually the first reaction is to panic, especially when it is for an occasion you have been duly paid to service. Let me share one of my many cake mishaps with you. Photo Credit: merrybrides It happened a long time ago when I was still starting out as an amateur baker back in the University. I was given a birthday cake contract to be delivered in two days. I was really excited because that was one of the first major cakes I was actually being paid to do. I wanted to impress so much that I went over-budget to make sure the cake stands out ( it did standout alright! LOL but in an awkward position) LOL. Because of my over-zealousness to impress, I wasn't precise with my measurements and disaster fell. The cake turned out to be soaking wet with fat. Too much fat! I was devastated as I had just that evening to deliver the cake. ( by the way, I didn't start to bake until that day of delivery, another mistake, wan

HOW TO BAKE A CAKE WITHOUT AN OVEN

For people like me who happen to live in a country where power supply is epileptic, one has not to solely rely on electricity for one's daily activities.   This is especially essential for cake makers like me. So in a case where there is no electricity and one cannot afford to use a gas oven, we are made to find a way out - IMPROVISATION.  This baking without an oven technique came in handy many times as a cake maker while studying in the University and still does when I want to be very economical. You can still try it out if you have a cooker that has a non-functional oven or if you find yourself in a situation where  an oven is not readily available Here is how to bake a cake without an oven.  Things you'll need; 1. A kerosene stove or cooker 2. Aluminum Pot - it can vary in size depending on the size of cake. Cupcakes don't require large pots but larger cakes do. 3. Baking Pans ( Aluminum foil pans or cupcake tins or aluminum baking pan